Other GamesPublic Beta

Games from Ubisoft and other studios

Moderator: Members

American_Dream

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:58 pm

it appears that the link on fileplanet from tweakguides.com has been removed... i think they released it prematurely, or they screwed up the key delivery system.
Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Holy sh*t, it's Viper!
Viper's up here, great... oh sh*t...
Great, he's probably saying Holy sh*t, it's Maverick and Goose.
Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.

DakotaDoc64

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Bert wrote:Good luck! If you enjoy playing BF2... I wouldn't install Vista until someone figures out what the problem is. It may just be BF2, but they don't like each other, especially with an 8800gtx. Let me know if you have any luck. Hopefully EA will soon release an update for BF2 to make it more Vista friendly.

On the other hand, while I did have Vista installed, I checked out the Lost Planet demo, and it was georgous. With lots of snow and volumetric smoke and full HDR, it still ran smooth as silk under DX10.

I will probably give Vista another shot in a few months, but I am not in any huge hurry. I will wait till I can purchase Ultimate edition. I was using Business that I had gotten for free from my schools MSDN agreement.

I think I may even try the 64 bit version of Vista. I can't remember who, and I am too short of time to search. But someone here has good success with the 64 bit version of Vista and Battlefield. That is encouraging.

Chaka of the Pakuni

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 pm

They've started handing out the keys, but at this point only NEW Fileplanet subscribers are getting a key.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/quakewars/subscribe_sp.shtml

Carbon14

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 am

Re: BERT'S NOTE FYI

I loaded and ran Vista Ultimate and the only troubles I had were with some Adobe apps and ... BF2. Screw the Adobe apps but I couldn't stand the jittery BF2 and I unloaded VISTA back to XP SP2.

Since then, from what I have read, it seems the problem is partly related to video card tweaks but mostly related to legacy sound card APIs (or lack of them). Vista maps sound differently than the previous OSes and for some (many?) games this moves the processing load off the audio card and onto the CPU. Couple that with intensive processing cycles and you've got ... jittery, laggy, crap.

Creative (in a consortium) have created a 'patch' of sorts called Creative Alchemy that correctly remaps the D3D audio to the Vista channels (OpenAL).

See here ... http://preview.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx

Hope that helps someone ...

CB14
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
Those that understand binary, and those that don't

Bert

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks for the info. I had seen that issue before and tried that software with my x-fi (even bought a new non-usb headset for that, as the x-fi is the only sound card they are supporting with that software last I heard) and it didn't seem to help. I believe the largest problem was memory and CPU usages while in-game.

While playing at any given time, my RAM usage was around 90 percent and CPU was way up there as well, and that is with an AMD 4400 X2 and 2 gb XMS memory. I could watch the CPU usage go to around 80% just my moving the mouse on the desktop when out of game! :shock: (and they said the new aero interface would take the load OFF the processor... yeah right!) :roll:

I also got constant ctd's due to Vista's drivers being more sensitive to hardware voltage fluctuations with the new WHQL requirements, causing the video system to kinda reset itself, hense a ctd. I am only hoping that the newer games designed for Vista will minimize these issues or find ways to work around them.

As far as the OS is concerned... it was awesome, I just think they need more time to work out all of the smaller stuff. I would have sweated it out if I could have, but with no BF2, I tend to get cranky! :lol:

BTW... I also re-installed XP and life has been better since. :D

Chaka of the Pakuni

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:00 am

Beta keys (a limited number I believe) are now available to all Fileplanet subscribers.

Topic author
DirtyKurt

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:33 am

OH man this game is awesome. We have to run a server for this game when it comes out. Looks nice, runs nice.

Carbon14

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:38 am

Anyone know them?

I'm being denied a key with ATI x1600 512Mb, 2Gb RAM, and P4HT 3.0 Ghz.

CB14
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
Those that understand binary, and those that don't

Topic author
DirtyKurt

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:49 pm

make anything up. It don't have to be what you got or all the keys are gone already

gi.joe

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:15 pm

I got my beta key. Just played the game for a bit 8) :D

My first impression is good :!: This looks like it's going to be a really fun game :!:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information