Other GamesMet John Carmack today

Games from Ubisoft and other studios

Moderator: Members

Topic author
MadHatter

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:14 pm

they're having quakecon out here (lots of quake wars stuff on display), and I was wanting to look at id Tech5 to see if we couldn't license it so I set up an appointment with id to check it out (and they were wanting to do it at quakecon). John did the demo's and talked about the engine with us for a little bit. it was pretty cool, they had their new game (rage, the name hasn't been publicly released yet though) running on the mac, pc, xbox 360, and ps3 all side by side. it was pretty sweet!

John's shorter than I'd imagined.

Chaka of the Pakuni

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Is he still anti DirectX?

Topic author
MadHatter

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:53 pm

most hardcore game developers I know perfer OpenGL to DirectX (unless they've done mostly DirectX work), but since the video card market is pretty even ATI and NVidia and since ATI plays better with directx, the defacto standard falls to directx.

since the new game engine works on 4 different platforms (with the same build), he's obviously had a change of heart about DirectX. this new game engine doesn't push the limits of hardware like doom3 did. although the graphics are pretty breathtaking, the rendering logic is pretty simple, and because of that, you could probably get better performance out of the new game they're building with it than you would in doom3, on todays middle tear hardware.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information