General Information/DiscussionsPopular mechanics on Google books

General Info for everyone

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Fri May 05, 2017 6:22 am

If you enjoy or wanted to read past editions of Popular mechanics just see this link; really interesting stuff.

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Moderhinke

Fri May 05, 2017 7:33 am

Ah, that's pretty cool... "popular Mechanics" from the 50s. I glanced through some of the edition and besides the mostly hilarious ads found this article about "nuclear powered planes" for the US military (page 80 ff.). Holy crap! I'm glad they figured out rather sooner than later that this was a bad idea (is there a nuclear mushroom emoji?). Turns out that Lockheed is currently doing research on a small fusion reactor based jet engine design since a few years. I knew about NASA's fusion powered rocket engine plans but that was news to me. Interesting stuff!
“You can withdraw from a climate agreement but not from climate change, Mr. Trump. Reality isn't just another statesman you shove away.”

KungfuBeer

Fri May 05, 2017 8:37 am

Popular Advertisements should be the name. Holy cow, work from home creating your own nuclear fission reactor, become a professional pilot in 3 days, find Nailclipper in 24 hours using this kit...... they had it all back then.
The 'science is settled' argument is inherently unscientific.

Flipper

Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am

KungfuBeer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:37 am
find Nailclipper in 24 hours using this kit...... they had it all back then.

Hmmmm...... :badsmile:

There is a good documentary about the nuclear powered bomber research that started in the 50s, ending with the Kennedy administration (for the most part). The US wasn't the only one looking into the feasibility of this type of power module. Fascinating to say the least.

Nuclear-powered aircraft - Wikipedia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information