Images and VideosWalking with a view

Images and Videos

Moderator: Members

Forum rules
If there is already a thread or category that fits your post, please post it there instead.

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:51 pm

IMG_1921.JPG
Debris washed up on beach
Yorktown.

Where the Revolutionary War ended and we kicked the British out of America; very historical area but, if you didn't know the back story of the area then you'd believe it was always this way, but if you dig deeper you'd learn the reality of it.

Needless to say, I won't bore you with the details it's in a book "Images of America Yorktown" by Kathleen Manley

The Daughters of the American Revolution with help began to purchase the land to preserve the town and it was turned over to the National Park service who handles the Battlefield.

Anyway, interesting read loads of photo's.

Now back to the rest of the story,

My Wife and I usually go there to walk in the "off season" AKA "no tourist" as it is pretty quite and in winter no one is around; so we walk up and down the streets (steep) and along the beach area. I took a few photo's for some projects and will share some with you here:
Th rocks you see in the photo's are to help with erosion from the river allows sand to build up around it. Also in the river are numerous sunken Revolutionary War ship wrecks sunk by the British on purpose; They excavated one about 20 years ago was in National Geographic.
IMG_1919.JPG
A US Navy TKA (Ammunition ship at Weapons Station Yorktown pier.
IMG_1920.JPG
Draw span bridge linking Gloucester Virginia with the Peninsula.

• Information