Moderator: Members

Forum rules

Topic author
purestone
Regular

First Intel build

Post#1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 am

Hello, How is everyone doing?
I am thinking of building my first Intel pc and I am looking for some advice.
Does anyone know anything about the skylake chipset? I am thinking about getting this Asus MB http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/overview/ and the Intel Core i7-6700K Quad-Core Processor.
Thanks for your help
Tim

ANZAC

Re: First Intel build

Post#2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:28 am

I've had good luck with ASUS Mobos but my last build switched to Gigabyte. Brian/Clipper is the real expert on the motherboards, CPUs and GPUs. Hopefully he will chime in. I think the i7 6700K is a good choice.

Cybex

Post#3 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am

Asus MB's always worked great for me, not so much with others. If your not going to be rendering video or using any cpu intensive apps you could get the i5 6600 Skylake. Most of us usually just get an i5. I was reading that AMD is going to be releasing it's new ZEN cpu in 1Q 2017. http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/77005/20161129/amd-s-zen-based-summit-ridge-cpu-release-date-specs-news-update-january-2017-release-confirmed-499-chipset-beats-high-end-1000-intel-cpu.htm Newest article I could find.
If it's any good (it's supposed to be) there may be a price war. I was just about to do the same thing, Asus board, i5 6600, think I'll wait a bit and see what happens. Intel may be releaseing a new cpu 2H 2017.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Topic author
purestone
Regular

Post#4 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:29 am

I am no longer getting the Skylake chipset. I am going with Asus Sabertooth x99 and an Intel i7 5820K.

Topic author
purestone
Regular

Post#5 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:52 am

I got my first Intel build put together.
Asus Deluxe 2 MB, Gskill 4x4Gbs memory, Asus Strix 1060 OC vid card, i7 6800K cpu, Noctua NH-U14S cpu cooler. I would suggest a Noctua cpu cooler to anyone really keeps the Cpu cool. I had hard time getting the mobo to recognize all of the Gskill memory sticks I should have went with Corsair again I never had a problem with them. If anyone is thinking of getting an Asus 1000 series vid card make sure it can fit in your case the 1060 I got is 11.75 inches long.

Is anyone using Asus suite 3? I can't get it to install properly can someone help me with this?
Tim

KungfuBeer

Post#6 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:10 am

Right on. As far as the Asus Suite, I don't know that you really would need it. Just install the basic drivers for the MB and fire it up. The MBs come bundled with garbage software that you will probably never use, if you did need a function, there is usually better software out there to accomplish that task.

We have been playing BF1, come join us if you can stand hearing us bitching about the normal BF whoas as we always have been vocal about.

Когда вы умираете , я могу есть все свое дерьмо ?

Topic author
purestone
Regular

Post#7 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:42 am

Beer, do you any good software I can use to control the Cpu fan and case fans?
I haven't got BF1 yet I am hearing alot of negative crap about it.

KungfuBeer

Post#8 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:42 pm

BF1 is the best release of any BF series after BF2. It still has it annoyances but it's better than any thing since 2005.

The CMOS (BIOS) controls the CPU/MB fans so I don't think you need software to intervein. Let them run at full speed as designed by the manufactures.

Когда вы умираете , я могу есть все свое дерьмо ?

sidewinder9x

Post#9 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Negative as in what?; IMO I think it is by far the best they have produced from the series; the graphics are hands down the best; plays well too. idk what other have said but, as with most things people will complain..

Topic author
purestone
Regular

Post#10 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:23 pm

I was going to get BF1 but I am at my father's place for christmas and he reached his bandwith limit so I can't download BF1

MissileChicago

Post#11 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 pm

ASUS is top notch. I have never had an issue with them. Easy to install and set up. BIOS updates are a breeze and the hardware is high quality.

Oh and yes, BF1 probably has the best graphics and performance of any BF series to date. I'm enjoying it when I have time to play.

"In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'." - Carl Spackler

Return to “Technical Information/Support Requests”