Technical Information/Support RequestsFIRST IMPRESSIONS OF NIVIDA GTX 970

Just as the title says

Moderator: Members

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:23 am

Cybex and I both purchased GTX 970's Super clocked this past week and have been "test driving" them ever since; we both run similar CPU processors (I5's) with our monitors being really the only difference.

My first impression out of the box was how light it was compared to my GTX 580; crazy light and shorter by an inch.

Installed easy; drivers were the same as the other GeForce cards, but I did a clean install with driver sweeper and run EVGA Precision for management.

I went to load DAYZ and immediately ran into an issue; it wouldn't load all the way; I could hear the game, my keyboard locked up,needless to say about an hour later with my resident alpha geeks help we fixed it (had to go into Nivida control panel and set everything to basic, sort of); DAYZ loaded without further issue.

I punched everything to as high as it would go and the fan on the card barely even increased in speed, very, very quite.

The graphics are crazy!; in first person you can examine individual plants and they look just like a living one; the stars at night pretty cool and the moon has detail such as craters and such; amazing...

By far, the best thing is the distance one can see; it is insane!; I lit a red flare near the hidden jail in a field near the field with hay bales and we, (Cybex) and I walked backwards up the hill in order to see how long it would take until we could no longer see said flare; it wasn't until we were almost at the top did it finally appear to go out; by zooming in you could still see it burning even at that distance!

The graphic rendering at distances no longer look like polygons rendering; just look like trees.

However; there have been some "learning moments" as well and it isn't with the card it's the game; we discovered that certain settings caused the tall grass in the game to go to an off white/grayed out color; really weird looking and it only occurred in first person. We fixed this by turning ALPHA TO COVERAGE" to "OFF" and it made the grass look like, well, grass.

We have used Nivida's control panel to adjust some settings and in game via the in game controls.

We all know it isn't optimized yet and we (Cybex and I) have experimented with some settings; more to follow!

Flipper

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:41 pm

:number1:

DirtyKurt

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:05 pm

all should do a test on a game that has been released but from the sound of it well purchased item.

MissileChicago

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 pm

When are you buying me one?

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:34 pm

@ Kurt ?

DirtyKurt

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:50 am

What

Flipper

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:58 am

DirtyKurt wrote:all should do a test on a game that has been released but from the sound of it well purchased item.

This statement doesn't make sense. Re-write it, then resubmit :grimace:

KungfuBeer

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:29 am

Flipper wrote:
DirtyKurt wrote:all should do a test on a game that has been released but from the sound of it well purchased item.

This statement doesn't make sense. Re-write it, then resubmit :grimace:

Quit phone-bombing posts. Collect your thoughts, proofread then submit.

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:19 am

Bingo....

DirtyKurt

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:25 pm

all should do a test on a game that has been released but from the sound of it well purchased item.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information