Technical Information/Support RequestsReal Time Cyber Attack Map

Just as the title says

Moderator: Members

KungfuMosquito

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:52 am

That's crazy.

sidewinder9x

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:07 am

Crazy isn't the word; the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) kinda didn't tell the whole truth about the hack; last report it was about 22 million fed workers whose data was compromised; I so far haven't received a letter either way; others I work with have. People who are responsible for this apparent lack of update/ should be put in jail; it's utterly ridiculous that it was allowed to happen and they knew about it months ago!

Topic author
KungfuBeer

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 am

The OPM's operating database is written in 1970's COBOL programming, so modern security features to prevent this are completely incompatible. SF-86 (background check) is the biggest breach! I have a SF-85 (Security Clearance-SECRET and higher) on file, so I may have been spared this time.

Just updated was the impact..."OPM government data breach impacted 21.5 million"
OPM government data breach impacted 21.5 million
By Jim Sciutto, Chief National Security Correspondent

(CNN)Government investigators now believe that the data theft from the Office of Personnel Management computer systems compromised sensitive personal information, including Social Security numbers, of roughly 21.5 million people from both inside and outside the government, the government announced Thursday.

Of these, hackers obtained information from the security clearance applications -- known as SF-86's - of 19.7 million people.

Another 1.8 million were non-applicants comprised mostly of spouses and partners of applicants.

OPM had initially estimated the hackers obtained the files of 4 million people with information listed on the servers containing personnel data of current and former government employees.

Republicans called on President Barack Obama to remove OPM Director Katherine Archuleta.

sidewinder9x

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Yep, it's a joke that's for sure and she stepped down; which really doesn't mean anything they will just put somebody else in there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information